Sunday 23 June 2013

Sin the biggest addiction Week 25, 2013


The pictures of substance abuse we see simply foreshadow the most pervasive and dangerous addiction: the addiction to sin. Addictive substances give pleasure for a while before showing their destruction of the user; sin gives temporary pleasure also. Moses knew this. He chose to suffer with God's people rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a little while Heb 11:25(GW). Have you seen a man desperately trying to break an addiction and failing? It happens with sin too. For I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but I cannot carry it out. For I don't do the good I want to do, but instead do the evil that I don't want to do” Rom 7:18, 19(ISV) is the cry of the man finding himself addicted.
A manifestation of addiction is denial: the refusal to accept the reality of being trapped in a destructive habit. Is it not regarded as correct by many to lie your way out of danger? A book I read from a Christian bookshop argued masturbation cannot be a sin since over 90% of men and over 70% of women sampled are involved in it, and the word “masturbation “ isn’t used in the Bible! Perhaps the author has forgotten 100% of men and women have sinned. Does it now mean sin is defined by democratic means? What am I saying? Thus the conscience is seared and corrupted; silenced by relativity. Tragically lesbianism and homosexual tendencies have overcome some to the point it has ceased to be regarded as abnormal and perverse but “alternate sexuality”. “Since I can’t stop it, and it makes me feel whole, and many people are doing it, and I hurt no one it is alright.” No. It hurts alright; it hurts down to eternal destruction. The payment for sin is death, but the gift that God freely gives is everlasting life found in Christ Jesus our Lord  Rom 6:23(GW). In some cultures tobacco ingestion is a socially accepted pastime.
If you touch sin it will control you, no matter who you are. Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly I tell you that everyone who commits sin is a slave of sin Jn 8:34(ISV).It controls Lucifer who is now the personification and chief agent. It has done so from the time he sought to use it to overthrow God. In entering sin Lucifer thought to ascend, but all that resulted was a drastic descent (Is 14:12-14).
I am afraid it is too late to avoid the sin addiction since all have been caught in its web. If we say that we have never sinned, we make him a liar and his word is not in us 1Jn 1:10(ISV).  But if anyone turns to Jesus Christ and cleaves to Him that slavery is broken. I thank God that our Lord Jesus Christ rescues me! Rom 7:25(GW).  Have you experienced this freedom from the grip of sin or do you still find yourself habitually sinning? Whatever holiness cannot give you: reject. If truth, love and faithfulness keep anything off your way, take no short cut to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment