Sunday 5 March 2017

When God says no (the job interview) Week 10, 2017



He was the best resident among his set in Plastic surgery and a Christian too. Consistently he had earned the commendations of the consultants in all the units he had worked in and as a result had been given a letter of commendation by the residency training committee for consistent hard work. He was both skilful and easily knowledgeable, and had represented the hospital in presenting her work in Europe. In the exit examinations (in the words of a senior examiner) he shone like a million stars. Not surprisingly when my opinion was sought as to which resident to retain as a consultant I pointed to him even though I requested for all the two that passed the exit examinations from our centre.
Eventually after more than 6 months later we advertised for the post of consultant Plastic surgeon amongst others; and I gave him a good recommendation along with others. When the mandatory six weeks of advert was about rounding up I was invited for the short listing of candidates to present for the interview. I was deflated when for a technicality he wasn’t so much as shortlisted to present for the interview. Uncharacteristically I pleaded specifically for him and was roundly rebuked. Leaving the employment of the hospital suddenly became very desirable.
He didn’t take the news kindly. I got called by a former medical director and state medical association chair on the matter which didn’t change a thing. The interview held without him. He told me “I am still terribly aggrieved by how I was treated by the management. I may not be able to leave the matter like that. I will go all the way to press home the fact that I was unjustly excluded from the interview. All I seek is justice.” To which the reply was “Eye hath not seen... ear has not heard... neither has it entered into the heart of Orthopaedic (or other) what God has planned for you who love Him. It is IMPOSSIBLE  for man’s injustice to thwart God’s plan for you. Think over these. Understanding is yours.” But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him1Cor 2:9(KJV).
Well 18 days later he sent me a text “Join me in thanking God I have been appointed at Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital Nnewi. God is always faithful.” Not only had he been appointed, but he was place on a grade level higher than we were offering. That’s not all. His wife lectures at Okoh which makes Nnewi a better choice for the home than Enugu where he had felt so humiliated at the exclusion. He has since started work. When God says “no” He certainly has a much better package in waiting. That’s not all; it has been over 2 months the Enugu interview took place. None of those interviewed has got an appointment letter, started work or earned any pay from us just yet. Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! Rom 11:33(ESV) 

No comments:

Post a Comment