A lot of talk goes on, a lot of preaching is ongoing, but so much of it is ineffective in transforming people’s lives. Is there a certainty about delivering the word that makes it effective? Jer23:22 But if they had stood in my council, then they would have proclaimed my words to my people, and they would have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their deeds. Take note of what God says here: it’s not that “they might turn the people”, or “they could”, but they would have turned them from their evil way. There is this guarantee from God for effectiveness. The same effectiveness is assured in Is 55:11: so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. This means that to be effective as a carrier of God’s message, I must first stand in His council before proclaiming it. The matter is beyond simply saying scriptural words. First stand in His council. Is this not why the order in Act 6:4 puts prayer ahead of ministering the word? “But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” Brother, what comes first with you? Times of intercessory prayer in the presence of God before talk, or have you delegated prayer? “But I pray before starting the message. I always do” you say. Well done, I need something beyond that opening prayer.
What does it mean to stand in His council? How is it done? The council is where matters are raised, decisions taken, and the word to accomplish the decision is sent forth. Remember Job1:6? Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD: that was a council. After the matters arising, the word that went forth was executed effectively. So also in the matter of Ahab and the battle at Ramoth Gilead. Whenever the council has sat, any who has stood in that council carries the word which will definitely be effective.
Are you a minister? Seek to stand first in the council ever before you teach, before you lead choruses, or before you lead in worship. Don’t be in a hurry to give out words. What does it mean - standing in His council? Jer 23:18 For who among them has stood in the council of the LORD to see and to hear his word, or who has paid attention to his word and listened? Standing in his council is so as to see and hear His word. If we are to stand in His council it must be to pay attention and listen. So many times I love to talk and talk in prayer. Ask and ask, speak and speak. My prowess in prayer measured in my imagination by how long the stream of words can keep coming. Words of praise, of petition, of decrees…When you arrive at His council you stop talking and pay attention. You listen for His word, listen to His word, and pay close attention. And that is what happened to Isaiah in Isaiah chapter 6. Isa 6:1, 6-8 In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple… Then one of the seraphim flew to me, having in his hand a burning coal that he had taken with tongs from the altar. And he touched my mouth and said: “Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for.” And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send…” he saw, heard, listened. There is a lot to learn from here in the preparation to enter the council of God.
No comments:
Post a Comment