I don’t enjoy exams - when I am the one being examined that is. Facing the paper while my mind manifests a slowness at opening drawers is something I dislike. I wish it were unnecessary. I have listened to the lectures and surely that should be enough, right? However examinations have a way of revealing what I did not realise. I thought I knew it but really I did not. Then the things I know become more solidly entrenched in me. Revealing what I truly know and strengthening it makes it worthwhile. What is your view of examinations?
God started it. Gen 1:3-4(GNB) And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. Right from creation He examines, interprets and intervenes. He also constantly examines us, not because He does not already know, but perhaps because He wants it to be manifest to the spirit world. One thing we can be sure is that after exam success comes promotion. So how does God test us? By exposing us to circumstances in which a choice is made. His interest is in what choice we make.
Consider the testing of Abraham Gen 22:2, 12(ESV) He said, “Take your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah, and offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains of which I shall tell you.” He said, “Do not lay your hand on the boy or do anything to him, for now I know that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.” This led to God taking an oath - the first I see in the Bible to a man. This oath became a guarantee for all his descendants. Down to this generation. Do you want to have guarantees for your coming generations? Stand with God through tests. Let’s see some others: Dan 1:17(ESV) As for these four youths, God gave them learning and skill in all literature and wisdom, and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams. Dan 3:18, 30(ESV) But if not, be it known to you, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up. Then the king promoted Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the province of Babylon.
Why does God pass us through the test first? I believe it equips us to handle the blessing. It makes us empty ourselves of things, and helps us be at that point where it isn’t the blessing which occupies our minds or affections but He alone. So when next you pass through matters that make you have to choose remember God wants to promote you. Listen to this: Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, Rom 5:3-4(ESV). Did you hear that? Endurance produces character! Another translation uses the term proven character. Lastly Heb12:7(ESV) It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? Heb12:10(ESV) For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. We must experience this holiness. I have come to realise nothing else forms character. Not teachings, incentives, or simply praying or fasting. Not even laying on of hands and anointing by ministers, or going through deliverance. So when next a choice is before you, understand it is your promotional interview. Pass it!
No comments:
Post a Comment