Sunday 14 May 2017

The secret of contentment Week 20, 2017



When Satan asked Eve "Did God actually say, 'You shall not eat of any tree in the garden'?" Gen 3:1(ESV)  it was not because any of them doubted the answer. There is a complete difference in his approach and thrust from God’s own when He made His statement. And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, "You may surely eat of every tree of the garden,  but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die." Gen 2:16, 17(ESV). When God spoke the focus, the things that get to you are the many things you have. You may surely eat of every tree of the garden ...That only thing which is kept from you has a terrible consequence. Think of what you have. Satan’s words direct you who have been given enough, and are well protected, towards what it is you do not seen to have. Did God actually say, 'You shall not eat of any tree...’ Lack of contentment naturally follows. Once Eve’s attention was taken away from all she had to what it seems she doesn’t have Satan goes ahead to convince her she needs it, and the attempt to deprive her of it is unjust, a lack of love. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God Gen 3:5(ESV)  He also claims no ill consequences will follow. You will not surely die Gen 3:4(ESV).
Lack of contentment is bred in the soul that looks away from what God has freely given to enjoy to that which God has in love kept away. Have you noticed God wants us constantly to look at that which we have and give thanks? Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." Heb 13:5(ESV)  What is it that we have in this passage? It is not ‘just enough money to get by’. It is not material. What we have is the abiding presence of the all sufficient God; the promise never to leave us by He who cannot lie. "I will never leave you nor forsake you." It’s not a what, but Who. Never lose sight of that. The secret of contentment is never what we have but Whose we are and Who we have.
God, to whom I belong and whom I serve Act 27:23. That’s what lack of contentment says of God “You are a liar, your promise is not true”. It agrees with the devil’s statement at the Garden of Eden. Friends this is why God says to the soldiers (reputed to be poorly paid) when they repented in Palestine to be content. Soldiers also asked him, "And we, what shall we do?" And he said to them, "Do not extort money from anyone by threats or by false accusation, and be content with your wages."Lk 3:14(ESV).  This is why we can say truly I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content Phil 4:11(ESV).
So when next you feel discontent count the things God is doing and has done concerning you. Then ask “is God still with me?” How will we know the answer to this? Jesus answered him, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him Jn 14:23(ESV). What has God said to me in His word? Am I doing it still? Have I neglected any of it? The secret of contentment is not what I have but who I have and whose I am! Once I am keeping His word definitely He is with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment