Sunday 28 May 2017

The price of truth Week 22, 2017



It was becoming too much – this sycophancy. God would not be pleased at all. I was privileged to pastor the wife of the military administrator back in the early 1990s.  We had a fellowship group there in the government house meeting on Thursdays. I would bring many a Pentecostal minister to come and preach the word and participate in fellowship. To my amazement, even though there was much suffering of the populace under the army, they would all praise her husband and tell her he was the best thing that happened to the State. These people are complainers and faultfinders, following their own desires. They say arrogant things and flatter people in order to take advantage of them Jud 1:16(ISV). They made a lot of money out of her. A lot.
I was careful not to take anything from her. What I may say I gained from there financially is that when I wedded I was helped with transport during the traditional rites and assisted also for the white wedding. Yes her tithes were in thousands, which was a lot of money in those days, yet I was particularly careful to maintain integrity. None of the tithes ever went home with me; they were duly submitted to my General overseer. That did not seem to be the same with the ministers of the gospel around me. Once when I invited her over to my church during the program my general overseer praised her husband so much. My eyes met with hers in the midst of it all: we both knew it was insincere.
Her husband never joined us in the fellowship. He would pass us by the corridor and laugh mockingly at us. I never had audience with him until 6 months after the fellowship started. Their only son took ill with a high fever and very late at night an official vehicle was sent to bring me to Government House. I stood in his presence in the bedroom and he asked me, “Man of God what do we do?” The boy was whisked out of the country the next day.
When I couldn’t take the hypocrisy again I openly told her in the fellowship “Please ma if you can talk to your husband do. The people are suffering, salaries have not been paid. This government is the worst!” That was the last fellowship I ever attended. I waited in vain for the official vehicle to pick me the next Thursday and none came. I had a pass to the government house, the one with which I had been entering all this while. I went with it on my own and presented it at the gate. I was informed, “This pass is no longer valid sir”. I could not enter. Others went for the fellowship and that is how it all ended, but I give God glory as I left the government house with virtually nothing. Our appeal to you is not based on error or impure motives, nor do we try to trick anyone. Instead, we always speak as God wants us to, because he has judged us worthy to be entrusted with the Good News. We do not try to please people, but to please God, who tests our motives1Thess 2:3, 4(GNB).
What price are you willing to pay to speak the truth? What risks are you ready to take as a minister to preserve your position or be true to your calling?                    Victor is a missionary in the southeast

No comments:

Post a Comment