Sunday 4 June 2017

The stolen generator Week 23, 2017



That generator is stolen, and you can recover it” was impressed on the police man as he saw a tricycle speeding by 7.ooam of 22nd May on the opposite side of the Enugu-Port Harcourt expressway. “If it is so then God slow them down” he prayed as he turned the car around to pursue. The LORD told David, "Pursue them! You will definitely overtake them and rescue the captives." 1Sam 30:8 (ISV).  Upon reaching and blocking them, 2 occupants fled. Very suspicious, the policeman immediately called for backup. Not knowing I had been robbed at night, I left in the morning as usual. Our children had woken up crying at night but we calmed them. I didn’t realise robbers were in the compound. I lie down and sleep, I wake up, because the LORD sustains me. I will not fear multitudes of people, who set themselves against me on every side. Ps 3:5, 6(ISV) 
The driver claimed total ignorance, and the one with the generator claimed to be authorised to repair it. He called the supposed owner on phone who said to the policeman “I am the owner and gave him to repair it so I can watch a match at night. Mind your own business” but refused to give his location. So an arrest was made and the suspect came to my street to identify the owner, and pointed to a different house. When the guard of that house spoke over the phone in Hausa warning his listeners not to show up, that 2 had fled and the police were around, he was also arrested. The policeman was multilingual and overheard it. He had the guard call the mistress of the house (who incidentally is a member of my church) to inform her of his arrest for complicity in suspected theft. The guard was sent on a tricycle to meet with those he had spoken with, that he was bringing their stuff for them. The police overtook him on the way and waited near the rendezvous.  Why did you bring the police for us? Tell them we are not coming. We could’ve shot you, we are seeing you” the unseen said to the guard on the phone. So the police asked him to go back, and left after about an hour of unfruitful vigil.
About 6pm I got back into the house and went to put on my generator. Lo! I could find it nowhere. So I got a torch from my wife as I informed her what I noticed. Some blocks had been placed on the ground next to the wall to enable them escape. I wondered how the thieves lifted the generator out. I then went to inform my neighbour about the loss. “Is the generator yours?” he asked “No other neighbour has been able to identify the generator. Come to the police station and claim it.” And so I went to the station where I was told “Are you the one? It is your ‘man of God’ type that is genuine.” It was there the whole story was told me. God has been at work on our behalf and I never knew what was going on. I identified the generator as mine indeed, made the relevant statements and collected it and took it back home.
Indeed “no weapon that is forged against you will be effective. This is the heritage of the LORD's servants, and their righteousness from me," says the LORD Is 54:17(ISV).                                                                                                                             Chukwudi Chukwubuihem is a canon in Enugu diocese, Anglican communion

No comments:

Post a Comment